This is a brief account of the history of Kinder, because many of the records were destroyed in the Parish Court House fire in 1910.
In the Southern part of the parish, about three miles from the Calcasieu River, the small village of Kinder was founded in 1903. In the vicinity were Canadian descendants called Acadians, who settled east of here in the Opelousas Territory. They became known as “Cajuns.” They migrated in this direction and built small houses in the outlying area of the present site of Kinder. Their language was French and their religion almost entirely Roman Catholic.
In 1903 two thirds of the voters of the unincorporated village of Kinder presented a petition to the Governor to be incorporated. Governor William Wright Heard issued the proclamation as “The Village of Kinder” June 1, 1903.
Officers of the village were elected for a two year term. The first mayor, Patrick E. Moore, four aldermen, Dr. R.E. Oden, Fred Moore, Edoc Roza, and J.W. Kingrey.